Wanting to become amortgage loan officer.

Hbergeron

LoanSafe Member
Jun 25, 2019
I have some questions for anyone with experience in the housing market/ loan officer field. I’m 30 years old wanting to start a career as a loan officer. I’m interested in getting my license , but I only have three associates degrees in css, general studies. I was in the oil field for a long time , but had grown tired of not having a passion for that kind of work. I recently moved to Arizona and would like to pursue this new venture as a career. Full disclosure I have a dwi on my record unfortunately. My overall question is what are my chances of landing an entry level job as a loan officer after being licensed? Also putting it out there I’m very ambitious and will do whatever it takes to get ahead.

Thank you to anyone who can help see this venture a little better.

B

Banker

Hi there.. great to hear more people wants to get into real estate and lending related. I have over 25years in lending field. From what I know the loan officer is the lowest in the food-chain. But don't get me wrong, some of them know their game, and are making extremely good money. Just the honest ones are struggling( this goes across the board in the lending field). It is relative easy to gain the loan officer license. and easy to get into the position with very low base pay. Just walk into any financial institution, they'll pick you up as a loan officer without much questions. But you have to earn your keeps. meaning you will get paid more on the commission part. which mean, you need to 'some how' get more loans to be approved.

The facts of life, people with money aren't going to get a loan and pay high interest. Only people without money-assets want to loans, but the banks/lenders don't want to lend to people without money-assets ( ability to pay back ). Thus to get more loans to be approved, you have to learn how to do magic. Go to those magic shows or you can watch it on TV or youtube.. how the magician changes cards/things around. Like the viewers, as long as the bankers/lenders believe the borrowers are rich, they will lend.

To be honest, you don't even need to study to even to pass the license. There are so many corrupted examiners, just give them a few winks here and there, and an envelope with about $500. More than what they get paid for watching you.

Reactions: Hbergeron

Erik Sandstrom

Mortgage Expert - Call 1-619-379-8999
Staff member
Loan Safe Mortgage
Jan 14, 2011
San Diego, California
www.loansreduced.com
I would like to respectfully disagree with the above statements being made about my job, my career, my life as a loan officer. I've been in the business 13, going on 14 years now. When I was in college, I was going the direction of being in IT/Computer Science (I can type faster than a machine!). A good friend of mine back in the day told me to give real estate a try, this was in 2006 and I did. Needless to say that was a great time to get into the market and also a horrible time. I put my IT/Computer science career to the side and then BOOM, 2007/2008 hit and I started seeing almost every lender in the business shut their doors. I freaked and thought to myself what did I do?

Then I did what any salesperson/business owner would do, I pivoted and entered into an arena in the same field but helping homeowners save their homes. That is why I manage this amazing website called LoanSafe. LoanSafe was and still is the largest resource for homeowners when it comes to saving their homes from foreclosure.

Then the writing on the wall came back around 2010-2011 and the NMLS came out (new regulatory agency for loan officers). The NMLS is an organization that handles all the licensing aspects in order to originate home loans. Now mind you, at the time I held my Real Estate Salesperson license and had to decide what I wanted to do, drive people around to show homes or do what I love which is math and help people with home loans. I took the direction of home loans.

I would like to address a few things mentioned by the poster above:
"From what I know the loan officer is the lowest in the food-chain" - We do not get paid like realtors (making 3-6% commission), I'm not sure what you're trying to compare being a loan officer to but that's a horrible statement to make and completely untrue. Loan officers I wholeheartedly believe handle the majority of a real estate transaction when there is financing involved and we are compensated well.

"
It is relative easy to gain the loan officer license." - This isn't true at all, throughout all the licenses I have and hold in my professional real estate career this is by far the hardest test you will take. I have seen a number of people fail that have worked even as a loan assistant/processor for 2 years more than 3 times before they passed the exam. I can't even count the amount of people anymore that I know who have failed at least once.

"To be honest, you don't even need to study to even to pass the license. There are so many corrupted examiners, just give them a few winks here and there, and an envelope with about $500. More than what they get paid for watching you." - I'm speechless! I'm starting to believe you have no idea what you're talking about and with 25 years in the lending field you should be absolutely ashamed of yourself. You cannot hand the testing center rep an envelope full of money, these tests are all done electronically and sent directly to the NMLS once you press the finish button. And by the way, the testing center doesn't allow you to take ANYTHING in and they watch you the entire time you take the test.

In addition to the above mentioned, you will have to pass a background check, livescan (fingerprints) and pay your licensing dues to not only the NMLS but also for each state you want to hold a license in. On top of that, every year you have to complete a certain number of hours of continuing education to keep your license active and those amount of hours will vary depending on the amount of licenses you hold.

In short, being a loan officer isn't easy. If you don't have a book of business or a way to generate business it can be very difficult and stressful as this is a sales/commission job mainly. You can however work for a big bank that will have you typically sit at a branch and they will bring you business but your compensation won't be as large and you'll have to deal with the big bank rules and systems.

I love my career, I have helped thousands of homeowners here within the LoanSafe community and will continue to do so as this is my job and my life.

Last edited:
Reactions: OneHugeMess

Erik Sandstrom

Mortgage Expert - Call 1-619-379-8999
Staff member
Loan Safe Mortgage
Jan 14, 2011
San Diego, California
www.loansreduced.com
I have some questions for anyone with experience in the housing market/ loan officer field. I’m 30 years old wanting to start a career as a loan officer. I’m interested in getting my license , but I only have three associates degrees in css, general studies. I was in the oil field for a long time , but had grown tired of not having a passion for that kind of work. I recently moved to Arizona and would like to pursue this new venture as a career. Full disclosure I have a dwi on my record unfortunately. My overall question is what are my chances of landing an entry level job as a loan officer after being licensed? Also putting it out there I’m very ambitious and will do whatever it takes to get ahead.

Thank you to anyone who can help see this venture a little better.
I say go for it! I would honestly recommend working at a place that can help you generate leads or work as a loan officer assistant/team loan officer. The DWI on your record I think will be ok, I'm pretty sure I know a loan officer that got one while he was licensed and was still able to keep his job but that's definitely going to be lender specific. I would call the NMLS and ask them if it may hinder your ability to get licensed, they should be able to tell you to a certain extent.