So, How Do You Like Renting?

SusieDerk

LoanSafe Member
Jun 26, 2011
If you are now renting, after foreclosing, how do you like it? What are the ups and the downs? We have been renting for since Feb 2012 and it's been okay. At first, the cheaper housing payment was nice. But we lived in a not very nice house to save a couple hundred, it was all that was available in a price range that would take us. We soon had to move again because of my husband's schooling, and we found a nicer place than the first rental, but we are still only saving are only saving a couple hundred from what our mortgage was and now we just found out its going up by $100!

While we like the inside of our house, the neighborhood is so ghetto! It looks pretty, but soon the layers were peeled back and we saw it for what it was, a ghetto. There have already been 2 shootings, an OD where someone died, a fire, I see countless arguments in the strew. I don't want to raise my kids here! But there really is not many houses for rent out there either, unless we are spending MORE than what our mortgage was! Then I get depressed and I switch my Trulia search over from rent to buy, and see all these cute houses where our mortgage would be cheaper than any rent I can possibly find! We just don't have much money saved for a down payment.

So anyway, I guess my biggest problem with renting is that the cost has gone up so much that it isn't a money saving option anymore. Also, just to be whiney, I can't garden or decorate how I want, either! On the plus side, we can move to Timbuktu if the mood strikes! Anyway, what has been your experience with renting? Do you love it or are you pining for your own house again?

willingtoplay

LoanSafe Member
Apr 3, 2013
Hi Susie,

I'm looking right now for a rental. I live in the Philly area and rents are quite high in good areas. My options are to rent some crappy place near the city with a good school district or look at more rural places. I'm focusing on the rural. I would rather have a longer commute.

I can deal with the garden/decorate issues (won't like it). We will see how it goes.

I would be pining for my old house if I had to deal with shootings and drug activity.

Good luck.

Reactions: SusieDerk

jay_rogers

LoanSafe Member
Oct 13, 2015
Hey Susie,

I was living in house on rent for 3 years in Carson. And unfortunately I was facing the same issue, I was not able to save more money. From last January we shifted to Vegas. At the time of shifting I was confused to about having my own home or to live on rent again. Then I contact a housing authority in Carson. They helped me to find a home and also provided benefits on the loan. So luckily I bought a home with low down payment.

On this experience I suggest you to own a home not to live on rent.

Good luck!

Reactions: RoseiB

SusieDerk

LoanSafe Member
Jun 26, 2011
After renting for 4 years now, I am definitely ready for my own home again. We did move last September to a different rental, so we are in a better neighborhood but I hate the house! Now I have the opposite problem, I love the outside but hate the inside! When we looked at the house, it seemed fine. I liked the layout and all, but the tenants were moving out and there were boxes and stuff everywhere, so what I didn't notice is that the walls and carpets are HORRIBLE! It skeeves me out, I've even stopped doing yoga because I hate being on the floors. My dad came with us to do the walk through and he told the landlord (who is also a realtor) that for the amount of rent we were paying ($1350), she should have painted the walls. She offered to paint after we moved in but that wouldn't work, with 3 kids and all our stuff. So we got her to knock $100 off the rent per month. So anyway, renting has plenty of problems but at least it is more flexible. My husband started a business so it will be another year before we can get a mortgage but that is okay because we figured something else out! We bought a fifth wheel camper and will be traveling the country for a year! DH works for himself from home and can work anywhere, so we figured this was our chance to see the country before we bought another house. Heck, maybe we will love it so much, we will just keep going! The kids are already homeschooled so that is an easy transition. We are all so excited and hit the road in January! The best part is that we have been painting and decorating and its been so nice to have something of my own again, even though its small, its MINE! Paid for in cash, too, so no bank can take it back! ;)

Reactions: jay_rogers

jay_rogers

LoanSafe Member
Oct 13, 2015
After renting for 4 years now, I am definitely ready for my own home again. We did move last September to a different rental, so we are in a better neighborhood but I hate the house! Now I have the opposite problem, I love the outside but hate the inside! When we looked at the house, it seemed fine. I liked the layout and all, but the tenants were moving out and there were boxes and stuff everywhere, so what I didn't notice is that the walls and carpets are HORRIBLE! It skeeves me out, I've even stopped doing yoga because I hate being on the floors. My dad came with us to do the walk through and he told the landlord (who is also a realtor) that for the amount of rent we were paying ($1350), she should have painted the walls. She offered to paint after we moved in but that wouldn't work, with 3 kids and all our stuff. So we got her to knock $100 off the rent per month. So anyway, renting has plenty of problems but at least it is more flexible. My husband started a business so it will be another year before we can get a mortgage but that is okay because we figured something else out! We bought a fifth wheel camper and will be traveling the country for a year! DH works for himself from home and can work anywhere, so we figured this was our chance to see the country before we bought another house. Heck, maybe we will love it so much, we will just keep going! The kids are already homeschooled so that is an easy transition. We are all so excited and hit the road in January! The best part is that we have been painting and decorating and its been so nice to have something of my own again, even though its small, its MINE! Paid for in cash, too, so no bank can take it back! ;)

I am happy that you buy it by your own pocket. Have a great new life at your new home!

congrats!