Sheriffs Deed In South Carolina

Welcome to the LoanSafe Forums!
Get free mortgage help today. Since 2007, the LoanSafe forums have helped millions of homeowners over the last 13 years either save their homes with a loan modification, obtain a short sale, forbearance, or walk away legally from their underwater mortgages.
Register for FREE


LoanSafe Member
Mar 20, 2013
I am trying to buy a house and the loan officer is asking for a sheriff’s deed to show the seasoning period has been longer than three years for an FHA loan. The house that was foreclosed on was in South Carolina and I am currently trying to buy a house in Indiana. I was able to get ahold of the register of deeds and they are providing me with the deed that was in my name and also the deed to show when the mortgage company repossessed the home. I was also able to get ahold of the Master of Equity office and they provided me with the document that shows when the house was sold at the sheriff’s sale (Signed by the Judge), but none of these say sheriff's deed. I know real estate laws are different in each state, but the mortgage agent is adamant that it must say Sheriff’s deed. Can anyone help with this, or guide me in the correct direction if South Carolina does offer a Sheriff’s deed?

Erik Sandstrom

Mortgage Expert - Call 1-619-379-8999
Staff member
Loan Safe Mortgage
Jan 14, 2011
San Diego, California
You shouldn't need this to be honest or title should be able to provide the document to the loan officer. Your credit report typically shows the foreclosure date or when the loan officer pulls the title on the foreclosed property it will show when it is deeded out of your name. I'd be happy to provide you with a title report to show you when it was deeded out of your name - feel free to e-mail me at: [email protected]. I am a multi-state licensed loan officer myself but it seems that you're pretty far along in the process and it wouldn't be beneficial to switch at this stage.

If you need the Sherriff's deed you should be able to obtain that from the title/escrow rep who is handling your transaction.
Last edited: