Second Mortgage Lien

airahcaz

LoanSafe Member
Sep 18, 2010
NJ
Is there an easy way to find out who is the current second mortgage lienholder on my property? I haven't received correspondences for years and the former on my credit report is almost a decade old (and of course I shouldn't contact them, right?)

The Town Tax Dept only has the first mortgage lien.

Thanks,

Jzone

LoanSafe Member
Jun 20, 2017
Is there an easy way to find out who is the current second mortgage lienholder on my property? I haven't received correspondences for years and the former on my credit report is almost a decade old (and of course I shouldn't contact them, right?)

The Town Tax Dept only has the first mortgage lien.

Thanks,
Im assuming you have not been paying on the second mortgage?

Have you filed bankruptcy or just stopped paying?

All states will have a "county clerk" or "register of deeds" type office. Some will have this info available online, but most offer free search at the county building.

Not sure if your town tax dept is your register of deeds or not. In very rare circumstances, people have had liens removed and not be notified. Usually any activity on your deed will at least get you a letter stating what happened. But things do get lost in the mail.

You could also pay to have a title search done on your property. This is what happens when you apply for a mortgage-the bank wants to make sure you have a clear title to the property. Even though you are not applying for a mortgage, they will still do the research for you and it will cost you about $400-$500.

If you havent filed bankruptcy, the chance of the lien being removed is almost zero. After bankruptcy, the lien holder knows they dont have any recourse except to take the property back through the lien. They wont do that, especially with a second mortgage, and get stuck with a property that has to have the first mortgage paid off in order to take possession.

What's your biggest concern right now? Staying in the house? Current on your first?