refinance 16 months after Chapter 7

lookingfor help

LoanSafe Member
We had a chapter 7 that was discharged in April of 2021.

We currently owe 282,000 and our home appraises at about 460,000 . Current interest rate is 4.625

We have about 5,000 in medical bills in last 6 months and about 15,000 in credit card debt we would like to put on a HELOC or refinance .

We have been told there is nothing we can do until at least 2 years from discharge ?
Our current interest rate is 4.625

PNC has told us that even though we are way under the 80% mark of equity we have to pay PMI for 5 years (they say because of Fannie Mae ) because we did not make full payments when going thru reaffirmation of loan during Chapter 7. Is this correct ?

Survivor_IN

LoanSafe Member
Lucas Bayón has a thread on Old Second Mortgages in these forums.

I'm not an expert but I see a couple options such as re-opening BK to cure additional med/credit debt or waiting for the passage of 2 years in order to qualify for an equity loan or refinance. Also consider that rates are rising and what you have may be worth keeping.

Luca Bayon

LoanSafe Guide
Lucas Bayón has a thread on Old Second Mortgages in these forums.

I'm not an expert but I see a couple options such as re-opening BK to cure additional med/credit debt or waiting for the passage of 2 years in order to qualify for an equity loan or refinance. Also consider that rates are rising and what you have may be worth keeping.
Thank you for the shoutout, Survivor!