Mortgage Forgiveness But No 1099c??


LoanSafe Member
Jul 15, 2009
I apologize if I am posting in the wrong section. I went through a short sale with HSBC this past year. I was delighted to find out that the mortgage forgiveness act was extended to 2014. HSBC has not sent me a 1099C and from what I have been told won't do so for a year.

My question is, should I just go ahead and file my taxes normally? As if the short sale did not happen?

If I do that do I jeapordize being forgiven for the difference since I didn't file in the same tax year?

Any help would be appreciated.

Moe Bedard

Call 1-800-779-4547
Staff member
Loan Safe Mortgage
Aug 10, 2007
Southern California

This forum is perfectly fine. Even though they didn't send you a 1099-c, you still have to report it. Even if you did not receive a Form 1099-C, you must report canceled debt as gross income on your tax return unless one of the exceptions or exclusions described later applies. Here is a link to the IRS: