Looking at Buying Again - FICO Score

Fred

LoanSafe Member
Aug 27, 2014
My credit score for the years 1980 through 2014 ran at the 800+- level. Also bought and sold two houses during this period.

In 2014 ran into a few financial issues not able to pay my second mortgage for 39 months. My FICO score collapsed and went to 617

Sold the house. Paid bank off in full in June of 2017 starting regrouping. Have been renting since this time. Since June of 2017 all bills have been paid on time all bills, utilities, credit cards and rent. The credit I have on file consists of two credit cards with a total limit of $39,000. The credit cards have been paid off in full each month and have been used to generate cash through the points system.

From June of 2017 though April of 2019 rebuilt my FICO score from 617 to 744. I use Credit Karma to check the FICO monthly and once a year use Experian to check the score. When I checked the Credit score in May of 2019, it listed a 122 point reduction from 744 to 622. Then checked it with Equifax for my free once a year score and it also showed a similar reduction of 120 points.

Both Credit Karma and Equifax showed no new negative reporting.

We were considering purchasing a home soon and are told that the FICO score has to be 640. And to get a more attractive interest rate it should be over 750. If the 640 score is required to purchase a home, then our score indicates we are out of the market. I just checkd credit Karma and the score has recovered to 635. Does anyone on this board have any ideas on why a credit score might show a significant reduction of 122 points with no negative news on the reports?

I fully understand why my score went from 800 to 622, as there was negative news, but I don't understand how a score can loose over 100 points in one month with the reporting showing positive prompt and on time payments.

T

Tampa9876

Something happened. You just aren't noticing it. If you had pulled a report from while it was 744 and one now (actual report and FICO not CK or similar) you would be able to tell what changed by going line by line. FICO doesnt change like that without new information. It's an algorithm that spits out what it spits out. No changes in input would mean no changes in output.

Also, credit karma score isnt actually your FICO score. It's a different version, which can be WILDLY different than the actual FICO score. I've seen score differences between the fake and real FICO of close to 80 points before. So 120 points different wouldnt be too crazy I guess.

Erik Sandstrom

Mortgage Expert - Call 1-619-379-8999
Staff member
Loan Safe Mortgage
Jan 14, 2011
San Diego, California
www.loansreduced.com
Completely agree with Tampa. Something so small like not paying a medical bill of 25.00 or cable bill can report negatively on your credit and damage it so greatly because you had a great score. Once you figure out what happened I would contact the company that is reporting the negative information to see if they can remove it.

Also correct in regards to FICO, we pull FICO model for mortgages and it can vary dramatically from what credit karma says. It credit karma says 635, we may pull a 590 middle.

I would be more than happy to help and see what happened and what you can do to possibly improve your credit. Shoot me an e-mail at: [email protected] or give me a call at 619-379-8999. Also, home loans start at 580 FICO but FHA you ideally want 620 or above. I'd be happy to go over the terms you'd have available, interest rates are pretty darn low right now.

just_me

LoanSafe Member
Sep 14, 2015
Your info may have been breached. If you are one of millions exposed, you can get the free credit monitoring service which may help you figure out what happened to your credit. Please keep track of your expenses (time/calls/letter writing) just in case you find you are eligible for reimbursement. Cash settlements usually become smaller as the class size grows, so don't count on that. Good luck!