Issues With Carrington Mortgage

jwa81

LoanSafe Member
Jun 23, 2014
Hi everyone,

So here is our situation. Last spring, my husband and I suffered some temporary financial hardship when my husband got injured and it caused him to be out of work for about 4 months. At that time, I also was not making nearly as much money as I am now. Fortunately, that has all resolved and I started much better paying job several months ago and my husband returned back to work in June. However, during that time, we fell behind on our mortgage payments with Bank of America by about 3 months. From early May until late July, we had to jump through every single tiny, fiery, micro-sized hoop to try and get mortgage assistance to get caught up. That never happened.

On August 1, our loan was sold from BOA to Carrington Mortgage (great). I ended up being given a direct contact person at Carrington, who was able to set us up with a 5-month informal repayment plan to bring our account current. We were very relieved by this and thought all would be fine and went on with our lives. The repayment amount for the 5 months was about $500 more than what our normal payment is, but we could handle it no problem. The first payment on the repayment plan was due on September 1. We made that payment. No problems there. Now, about a week after making that payment, the company I work for changed our pay dates. Not fun, but it happens. Because of this, we were going to need to make our second payment on the repayment plan a little bit late because my husband's paycheck alone wasn't enough to cover the payment. I didn't think that it would be a problem at all and wasn't at all worried since it would still be paid before the third on the arrangement payment was due.

So, last week (the 30th to be exact) I called my direct contact at Carrington and told her that I was ready to schedule our second payment on the repayment plan, but explained that I needed to schedule it for the 15th and explained that my pay dates had changed. She said that the latest that she could schedule the payment for was the 5th. I told that that won't work as I don't get paid until the 15th. I then asked her what we should do. She then told me that what we could do is wait for this current repayment plan to cancel out, which it would do by the 6th (yesterday) and that once it cancels, she would then call me on either the 6th or 7th (today) and then we could set up a NEW repayment plan, only that this one would be higher and it would be a 3-month plan instead of 5 and that we could have it start on the 15th of this month and it would be paid off by December. I agreed to this and figured all would be fine and waited for her to call me.

Fast forward to today when my contact at Carrington called me and informed me that the original repayment plan had canceled out and that we could now proceed with setting up the new one that we had discussed last week. She then put me on hold for several minutes and then came back and said, "Oops. We can't set you up on a new repayment plan because your USDA loan won't allow it. The only real option you have now is to apply for mortgage assistance and I can mail you that paperwork today." I was LIVID!!! Why did she not tell me this last week! Had she given this information last week, we could have scrambled somehow and maybe even have borrowed the money from someone so that we could pay it on time so that the arrangement wouldn't cancel, but because she gave me blatantly WRONG information, we now are left with NO repayment plan and are currently 5 payments past due. I have been on the phone ALL DAY with these people and have gotten absolutely nowhere. They all just tell me that I need to apply for the assistance. I already applied for assistance with BOA right before my loan got sold and it was denied, so I don't think it'll be approved this time!

Does anyone have any advice on what to do now? We can easily afford the higher payments for a few months to get caught back up, but now they won't set us back up on an informal repayment plan and are making us go through all of this same crap that we went through with BOA with trying to get assistance! I asked if we could at least send in payments in the meantime and I was told that they "may" accept them. I just don't know what to do and feel sick to my stomach. :(

Moe Bedard

Call 1-800-779-4547
Staff member
Loan Safe Mortgage
Aug 10, 2007
Southern California
www.loansafe.org
Hello,

Sorry to hear about your mortgage woes with Carrington. Unfortunately these employees can be wrong by giving you bad information and there is nothing you really can do about it. These are contracts and when you have government entity like the USDA backing a mortgage, they don't mess around. They have strict protocols that mortgage servicers must follow.

I think the best thing to do is not take it personal, remain calm and apply for a loan modification. I know this is stressful, but they are 100% in control and you know the old saying on trying to change things you can't. It is best to go with the flow. Win friends and influence people over there. Be extra nice when you speak with them and just comply with what they ask for.

Start the process and keep good records is all you can do. You can do this. If there is a will, there is way :)

jwa81

LoanSafe Member
Jun 23, 2014
Thanks for the reply. I definitely haven't been extra nice to them today after this whole mess. I was livid when I found out that the information I had been given last week about getting a new repayment plan was wrong and I definitely let them know that. I also sent an email to the CEO of Carrington about this a few hours ago. I guess all we can do right now is take one day at a time and apply for the assistance once again and, in the meantime, send in payments twice a month to help get us a little more caught up. Hopefully they will accept our payments. One of the supervisors I spoke with today said that as of right now they will, so hopefully they still will next week when we send one in. We are currently 5 payment behind and they did say that if we were within 90 days that we could get a new repayment plan. Hopefully they will accept our payments in the meantime and we will be able to get within 90 days. I'm just disgusted with this whole process. You would think they would want to help someone who is perfectly capable of making higher payments for a while and who isn't a huge amount behind get caught up. We are perfectly capable of getting 100% current by December if they would just work with us.

Moe Bedard

Call 1-800-779-4547
Staff member
Loan Safe Mortgage
Aug 10, 2007
Southern California
www.loansafe.org
You are very welcome.

I agree with you, and don't blame you one bit. As you can tell, it is a cold system and they do not care about people, only profits.
But like you said, maybe they will accept your payments and this will all work out for you.

I'm a big believer in thinking positive and thinking optimistically about the outcome. I have found when I do that, I'm way more success think when I think negative and believe me, I have a problem with that at times.

Try to flow and think positive by envisioning yourself getting help. Know that this is just an insane process that you cannot control, but have to deal with for a while so you might as well get sort of used to it. Just hope for the best and be a rock for your family.

You'll make it through this!

If you have any more questions, please let us know and keep us posted on your progress.

I wish you the best.

jwa81

LoanSafe Member
Jun 23, 2014
Thanks! I really hope this situation gets worked out and soon. We already went through this insane process for months when we were with Bank of America, so I already know exactly what it can be like. I just didn't think we'd ever have to deal with this again. I am in total disbelief that they wouldn't let us make the second payment on the repayment plan just a bit late to accommodate my new pay days. It's not like it wouldn't have been paid before the next payment was due and then we would have only had 3 payments left until we were totally current, but these people have to be so incredibly impossible to deal with and they have to make things so much harder than they should be. Unbelievable. Just totally unbelievable.

Reactions: Moe Bedard