Is There a Charity That Can Help Me Pay My Rent

Alex Ferreras

LoanSafe Greeter
Even though rent is a cheaper option compared to paying a mortgage, there are millions of people who fall behind on their rental payments. If you end up being evicted from your rental it may damage your credit and will also make finding another decent apartment rather hard. There are also several rental assistance programs out there for renters in distress. Rental assistance programs range from small corporations like churches, to large government assistance programs.

Unless your ready to face the hardships that come with eviction, don't wait to look up your options. Get all of your financial information together and contact as many charities and organizations as you can about your situation. If you have a nice landlord, be upfront with him. Talk to him about possible extensions that could be taken in order to take the affects of possible local or state charities. Look around online and in the newspaper for these charities. Browse around churches. Try out all of your options.

What can be done to locate local charities?

Check local church charities and assistance

  • Check eligibility for government resources
  • Communicate: Get your story out there. Communicate with your landlord, preacher/priest, creditors and anyone who can get you to financial help
  • Immediately reduce your expenses

Here are examples of several charity programs found right here on the internet:

1. The Homeless Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program- from the Federal Stimulus Program is funded through through charities and other organizations.

2. Sacramento Community Family Resources
Most of these rental assistance programs are limited in funding. Rental assistance vouchers are distributed within the first7-10 days of the month
Must have 3 day notice to be eligible for rent assistance.(Noticed must be obtained from landlord)
to apply for these rental assistance you will need:

-copy of your lease agreement
-proof of household income
-your landlords number for verification of occupancy
-knowledge that the programs will not pay for any of the late fees

3. Rental
Although there is no public housing in the City of Falls Church, the Housing and Human Services Division provides an array of assistance to make renting more affordable. go to: for more assistance follow this link to the facilities website

4. Colorado Rental Charity Information go to HUD for more contact information
Gilpin County Dept. of Human Services
2960 Dory Hill Road, #100
Blackhawk, CO 80403 (303) 582-5444

Archdiocesan Housing
1544 Pearl St.
Denver, CO 80203 (303) 830-0215

Catholic Charities
2525 W. Alameda Ave.
Denver, CO 80219 (303) 742-0828

Colorado Department of Human Services
4131 S. Julian Way
Denver, CO 80236 (303) 866-7350

5. Rental Assistance in New Mexico

6. Emergency Rental Assistance Program

The District of Columbia Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) helps low-income District residents facing housing emergencies. The program provides funding for overdue rent if a qualified household is facing eviction (including late costs and court fees). The program also supports security deposits and first month’s rent for residents moving to new homes.

ERAP serves low-income DC households with children, elderly households (age 60 or older), and people with disabilities. The amount paid on behalf of eligible families depends on a household’s income and available resources, and is subject to certain limitations. ERAP payments can only be used once per year for each eligible household. Go to this link for more information

I need assistance paying my rent

If you fall behind in the position of making your rent payments, it's essential that you try and find help right away. Don't listen to anyone who says there's no financial help out there. You can find possible helps all over your local newspapers, ads, and over the internet. Be wary when searching the internet, as there are several scams out there. Try and stay local when searching for help, make sure they have a number you may call.

Below are additional sources that can help you pay rent.

1. Local courthouses usually hold information on local programs that may assist with paying rent

2. Check any government programs. Different programs have different guidelines, but generally for this sort of thing the basic requirements would be having low income, being a single parent, or a disability that keep you from working. Try calling your states Department of human resources.

3. HUD, the Department of Housing and Urban Development provides several assistance for people who are falling behind on mortgage and rental payments. A program called the Rental Voucher Program pays the landlord the difference between 30% of the families total household income and the determined payment standard. With this type of option, you'll never have to pay more than you can afford.

4. Aside from all of the federal rental assistance programs, each state has their own programs.

5. If you currently are living in a rural area, the USDA may help you with your paying your rent.

6. In these hard economic times, using something like Community agencies would probably require an application process with long response time but sometimes it could be worth the wait

7. Try search church charities

8. Searching online at your state's assistance department could help you find government grants, government money given that doesn't have to be paid back