How do I get out of a rental lease early?

alfie

LoanSafe Member
May 2, 2012
I rented an apt in CA on July 7th of 2011. I signed a 6 mos lease. When my lease expired in Jan of 2012, I signed another 6 mos lease. I am in the process of purchasing a condo, so I go to the rental office and tell one of the managers that I want to move out at or before the expiration of my lease which I presumed is July 7th, 2012, the guy says I am responsible for the rent till the END of July, then he coes up with this cocamanee? excuse about how my renewal really did not occur till end of Jan, something about they starting a new lease at only the beginning of a month etc etc.

I know he is full of it, but they are holding a $1500 deposit and I hate to loose that! I rent in a plush community and my landlord is a major company and we have over 400 apts in several buildings so this is not a fly by night landlord! What can I do to get out of this ? I want to move out early July and dont have to pay rent ($1700) for July. Please advise

Last edited by a moderator:

Evan Bedard

Call 1-800-779-4547
Loan Safe Mortgage
Aug 26, 2007
San Diego, California
www.LoanSafe.org
I rented an apt in CA on July 7th of 2011. I signed a 6 mos lease. When my lease expired in Jan of 2012, I signed another 6 mos lease. I am in the process of purchasing a condo, so I go to the rental office and tell one of the managers that I want to move out at or before the expiration of my lease which I presumed is July 7th, 2012, the guy says I am responsible for the rent till the END of July, then he coes up with this cocamanee? excuse about how my renewal really did not occur till end of Jan, something about they starting a new lease at only the beginning of a month etc etc. I know he is full of it, but they are holding a $1500 deposit and I hate to loose that! I rent in a plush community and my landlord is a major company and we have over 400 apts in several buildings so this is not a fly by night lasndlord! What can I do to get out of this ? I want to move out early July and dont have to pay rent ($1700) for July. PLease advise
Welcome to the community alfie.

You do have copy of the last lease you signed showing the date the lease was executed correct? If the lease was established in January you would have made 6 months worth of payments by the end of June, so I'm not sure why the landlord is telling you that you must wait until the end of July to vacate the property..

Moe Bedard

Call 1-800-779-4547
Staff member
Loan Safe Mortgage
Aug 10, 2007
Southern California
www.loansafe.org
You may lose your deposit also may now be liable for that rent. Your rental contract should have the date that you signed or agreed to and it looks like they feel they have proof until the end of July. Professional companies like this are sticklers to the contract. So, whatever that contract states is most likely what they will agree to. When you sign a rental contract for a specific amount of time and not month to month, you are now liable for the time period you agreed too.

I wish I could give you better new or a loophole, but I do not think there is one.