Has anyone moved back into their vacated, winterized, pre-foreclosure home?

American_Nightmare_in_GA

LoanSafe Member
Sep 2, 2012
Hi all, I never thought my foreclosure process would drag on and on this long. Since it has, I have a possible scenario of moving back into my vacated house. The house is clean, empty and in good condition (my tenants moved out several months ago, left it clean). The mortgage company has someone checking on the house monthly and taping new monthly notices on the front door, stating it's vacant. The mortgage company had entered and "winterized" the house. I suppose that they've changed the locks, too. Is it just simply too late to consider moving back in? I'm not intending to change the status of walking away, just staying there short-term, free rent, until this is over. Thoughts?

Evan Bedard

Call 1-800-779-4547
Loan Safe Mortgage
Aug 26, 2007
San Diego, California
www.LoanSafe.org
Yes you can still move back into the property, it's in your possession until it is sold at auction or transferred back to the lender.. I would recommend having a professional "de-winterize" the property to ensure all the fausets are off to keep the house from flooding.

Kenupstate

LoanSafe Member
Dec 11, 2012
It is your house so you can move back in.It is no big deal to turn the water back on,should be inexpensive if you don't know how.I would put a sign on the front door saying This House is Occupied,just so the bank people don't think it was broken into and try to get in to winterize it again

Evan Bedard

Call 1-800-779-4547
Loan Safe Mortgage
Aug 26, 2007
San Diego, California
www.LoanSafe.org
Hopefully they would not get the bright idea to winterize the home again with June right around the corner lol.. I know a friend of mine who had his home "de-winterized" last year for a couple hundred dollars..

BrittD

LoanSafe Member
Aug 21, 2012
Upstate NY
Yes you can still move back into the property, it's in your possession until it is sold at auction or transferred back to the lender.. I would recommend having a professional "de-winterize" the property to ensure all the fausets are off to keep the house from flooding.
I'm looking into moving back into my home also. House was winterized and re-keyed.
Should I call my bank and tell them I moved back in? Or just let the servicing company report it back to them.
I'm located in NY

jhuntsman

LoanSafe Member
Sep 30, 2012
I'm looking into moving back into my home also. House was winterized and re-keyed.
Should I call my bank and tell them I moved back in? Or just let the servicing company report it back to them.
I'm located in NY
You don't owe them anything, it is YOUR house. You can change the locks, dewinterize the property, and move back in until it is sold at auction without any worry.

Reactions: BrittD

BrittD

LoanSafe Member
Aug 21, 2012
Upstate NY
Thank you everyone for all your help. :) I will be moving back in to my house. I found out HSBC did not sell my loan to Phh.
Phh is only servicing it. ( I guess there the new "Bill Collector" o_O) Anyway I'm having the house De-winterized and the furnace serviced before I actually move my belonging in. The safeguard contractor took it upon himself to drain my oil tank, and left a stinky mess in the basement. Planning on posting no trespassing signs, getting things fixed and putting curtains up in the mean time.

Upstater

LoanSafe Member
Jun 6, 2012
New York
An extreme example of this scenario:

Owners moved out in 2009, and the foreclosure was eventually withdrawn so the property is still in the owners name. The house has been vacant and maintained by the bank ever since. They winterize it, mow the lawn, and pay the taxes and insurance. Could the owners (or their tenant, me) move back in? I know it would have to be de-winterized and the power would have to be reconnected, etc. Is that still possible? Do we gain access via the sherif? All the doors but one have been boarded up from the inside, and the one accessible door is boarded up from the outside and has a lockbox behind it.

TIA!