Getting A Free Current Credit Report

FedUp02

LoanSafe Member
Apr 26, 2009
I have a question about Credit Reports.

You constantly see and hear about getting a free credit report. However, there is always a catch. Recently, I was on a site that charged $1 to get your report and rating. I filled in all of the info they needed, sent it and received the report and rating pretty quickly.

The catch with that one (unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the site), was encouraging you to become a member at a much higher charge for membership, which would happen automatically if you did not contact them within 7 days telling them that you did not want to become a member. (Some here may be familiar with this one.)

So, I called for that reason, but, the person I spoke with had to be one of the most persistent, obnoxious, can't-get-him-off-the-phone, annoying jerk I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. After what seemed like a lifetime, I was assured that he would do as I requested and it ended okay.

So, after all of that, my question is: Does a credit report agency/company exist where you can actually get a FREE credit report?

Thank you!

FedUp02

Last edited by a moderator:

Moe Bedard

Call 1-800-779-4547
Staff member
Loan Safe Mortgage
Aug 10, 2007
Southern California
www.loansafe.org
Hello FedUp02!

Yes, there is always a catch with any free offer. But you can get a copy of your credit reports once a year under federal law.

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires each of the nationwide consumer reporting companies — Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion — to provide you with a free copy of your credit report, at your request, once every 12 months.

The three nationwide consumer reporting companies have set up a central website, a toll-free telephone number, and a mailing address through which you can order your free annual report.

To order, visit http://www.annualcreditreport.com, call 1-877-322-8228, or complete the Annual Credit Report Request Form and mail it to: Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348-5281. The form is on the back of this brochure; or you can print it from http://www.ftc.gov/credit.

Do not contact the three nationwide consumer reporting companies individually. They are providing free annual credit reports only through annualcreditreport.com

Moe Bedard

Call 1-800-779-4547
Staff member
Loan Safe Mortgage
Aug 10, 2007
Southern California
www.loansafe.org
You are welcome and good luck!

FedUp02

LoanSafe Member
Apr 26, 2009
Hi Moe,

Checked on free credit reports, but, you still have to pay for credit score.

FedUp

bankwhipped

LoanSafe Member
Apr 11, 2011
Florida
Hi Moe,

Checked on free credit reports, but, you still have to pay for credit score.

FedUp
Creditkarma.com does not charge and gives you a score that I believe is pretty accurate, I've used it for over a year maybe 2? and they have never charged. also I believe bankrate.com has a free report & score.