citibank discharge of mortgage

dcack

LoanSafe Member
Hi,

We are trying to sell our home. The closing date was supposed to be April 28th 2021. This has been held up because Citibank has not discharged our mortgage from 2001. I have called, emailed and finally got an email back saying it could take up to 15 days. If they sold this to another bank would they still have the discharge?

Jzone

LoanSafe Member
Hi,

We are trying to sell our home. The closing date was supposed to be April 28th 2021. This has been held up because Citibank has not discharged our mortgage from 2001. I have called, emailed and finally got an email back saying it could take up to 15 days. If they sold this to another bank would they still have the discharge?
Why was Citibank suppose to discharge your mortgage in 2001? Do you mean release a lien? Mortgage debt is "discharged" in bankruptcy. Some lenders may refer to paid off mortgages "discharged" also. Liens are released when the mortgage is paid off.

dcack

LoanSafe Member
Yes, release a lein. I have refinanced since this and never an issue but now that we want to sell its an issue. Not sure how long the buyers will wait.