Best places to live in New York

Ramona

Administrator
Loan Safe Mortgage
Mar 18, 2011
www.wecreatewebdesigns.com
A little background on me and 'The Big Apple'. We visited NYC first in 2010 and stayed for 6 months at our friends, then did it again last year and hopefully again in few months. I hated the city at first, since I'm used to the clean cities we have here in Europe.

Once you set foot in Vienna, Berlin or Munich, seeing the garbage on the streets, the gum that makes the pavement look like a huge Dalmation and smelling the rotten smells in summer in the middle of Manhattan won't make you really appreciate the city. Not to mention that the subway system, while amazingly well put together is SO DIRTY that I was shocked. Just get out at the Municipal Hall station and you'll have a serious gag reflex when hit by the ungodly urine smell.

And still I grew to love it.

It took me few weeks to adjust to the New York 'cleanness' and realized there's more to the city than dirty streets or discarded garbage. And then our 'love story' started. NYC is now my favourite city in the world and I had the chance to see quite a few. I've done a lot of walking and took tens of thousands of pictures. Can't wait to get back again.

I'd like us to discuss about NYC as an ideal place to live since, we'd actually move there in a heartbeat.

Manhattan

If you ask me, Manhattan is not really the ideal place to be in. At least not in the crowded areas. When we were visiting the Stock Exchange area (we never entered it) I couldn't help but hear the constant 'roar' the underground traffic was making. It was sunday and the area was almost deserted, but the constant noise was pretty annoying.

I think I'd love living somewhere on the lower West side of Manhattan, right between the Financial Center and Battery Park. There's a very nice area that's clean and quiet. You get to see the Statue of Liberty and the Hudson River, it's filled with flowers and vegetation and spring is just amazing there. That's one of my favorite places to visit whenever I'm in NYC.

Another area I came to love is Brooklyn Heights, which allows for some amazing views over Manhattan. From what I found out the area is in constant 'upgrade' and what once was a warehouse area is now an amazing park. I think it's the place I visited the most.

This is how Manhattan looks at night. It has been a terrific 'shoot' for both of us, showing us again how amazing New York City can be.

Another place that allows for some terrific sights would be New Jersey, even if it's not in NYC. It's just 'across' the river. We have a dear friend there and he invited us over. The sights were again breathtaking.

My camera back then wasn't really so amazing, not to mention I'm not a talented photographer. You'll excuse the quality.

Upper West Side was a terrific revelation for me, too. 'Tired' of visiting Central Park that often, I chose to go west and not stop until I reached the river. Well, the houses there look amazing and the city's noise is less easy to hear and of course, less annoying.

There I could see the famous 'brownstones' and enjoy a quiet walk in the Riverside Park.

Queens

Our friends live in Queens, in a very nice neighborhood. I have to say the quiet and clean area really made me feel well, even if Manhattan was almost 1 hour away (we had to take the bus and then the subway). But we surely didn't miss the noise in most Manhattan areas nor the smell coming from all the traffic, dogs and restaurants.

This is how our neighborhood looked like in April.

There are other amazing places in NYC I just don't know about. I'm a tourist only and haven't spent as much time there. So I'd like to invite you all to share other amazing places in NYC that you live in or would love to live in.

New York is not a 'cheap' city, that we noticed. While the wages can really go up for certain professionals, houses have big prices and rents are the same. We saw the difference between the South (we visited friends in Alabama and Georgia) and they had HUGE yards and big houses with a fraction of what it would cost in NYC to have a small house and a 10 feet square 'yard'.

But for me NYC is a tremendous city and I'd really love being able to once live there.

chrissty

LoanSafe Member
Oct 17, 2010
Hi ramona -- I live in long island and grew up in queens -- ridgewood exactly -- nice neighborhood -- now very polish --some places you might think about are williamsburg -- if you want to be close to the city, it has a lot of nice things going on there and it is trendy and upcoming --but close to manhattan --

you are right -- if you are in manhattan you are going to pay a lot for a rental -- forget about buying unless you have big $$$ --
but the further you go away -- the better the prices get -- I am about an hour and half away from manhattan but commute in everyday --
let me know if you have any other questions -- I've been here all my life --

A little background on me and 'The Big Apple'. We visited NYC first in 2010 and stayed for 6 months at our friends, then did it again last year and hopefully again in few months. I hated the city at first, since I'm used to the clean cities we have here in Europe.

Once you set foot in Vienna, Berlin or Munich, seeing the garbage on the streets, the gum that makes the pavement look like a huge Dalmation and smelling the rotten smells in summer in the middle of Manhattan won't make you really appreciate the city. Not to mention that the subway system, while amazingly well put together is SO DIRTY that I was shocked. Just get out at the Municipal Hall station and you'll have a serious gag reflex when hit by the ungodly urine smell.

And still I grew to love it.

It took me few weeks to adjust to the New York 'cleanness' and realized there's more to the city than dirty streets or discarded garbage. And then our 'love story' started. NYC is now my favourite city in the world and I had the chance to see quite a few. I've done a lot of walking and took tens of thousands of pictures. Can't wait to get back again.

I'd like us to discuss about NYC as an ideal place to live since, we'd actually move there in a heartbeat.

Manhattan

If you ask me, Manhattan is not really the ideal place to be in. At least not in the crowded areas. When we were visiting the Stock Exchange area (we never entered it) I couldn't help but hear the constant 'roar' the underground traffic was making. It was sunday and the area was almost deserted, but the constant noise was pretty annoying.

I think I'd love living somewhere on the lower West side of Manhattan, right between the Financial Center and Battery Park. There's a very nice area that's clean and quiet. You get to see the Statue of Liberty and the Hudson River, it's filled with flowers and vegetation and spring is just amazing there. That's one of my favorite places to visit whenever I'm in NYC.

Another area I came to love is Brooklyn Heights, which allows for some amazing views over Manhattan. From what I found out the area is in constant 'upgrade' and what once was a warehouse area is now an amazing park. I think it's the place I visited the most.

This is how Manhattan looks at night. It has been a terrific 'shoot' for both of us, showing us again how amazing New York City can be.

Another place that allows for some terrific sights would be New Jersey, even if it's not in NYC. It's just 'across' the river. We have a dear friend there and he invited us over. The sights were again breathtaking.

My camera back then wasn't really so amazing, not to mention I'm not a talented photographer. You'll excuse the quality.

Upper West Side was a terrific revelation for me, too. 'Tired' of visiting Central Park that often, I chose to go west and not stop until I reached the river. Well, the houses there look amazing and the city's noise is less easy to hear and of course, less annoying.

There I could see the famous 'brownstones' and enjoy a quiet walk in the Riverside Park.

Queens

Our friends live in Queens, in a very nice neighborhood. I have to say the quiet and clean area really made me feel well, even if Manhattan was almost 1 hour away (we had to take the bus and then the subway). But we surely didn't miss the noise in most Manhattan areas nor the smell coming from all the traffic, dogs and restaurants.

This is how our neighborhood looked like in April.

There are other amazing places in NYC I just don't know about. I'm a tourist only and haven't spent as much time there. So I'd like to invite you all to share other amazing places in NYC that you live in or would love to live in.

New York is not a 'cheap' city, that we noticed. While the wages can really go up for certain professionals, houses have big prices and rents are the same. We saw the difference between the South (we visited friends in Alabama and Georgia) and they had HUGE yards and big houses with a fraction of what it would cost in NYC to have a small house and a 10 feet square 'yard'.

But for me NYC is a tremendous city and I'd really love being able to once live there.