Are their Real Estate Agents that Help Find Rentals

Lost Pocket

LoanSafe Member
Dec 3, 2010
I've just given up on trying to keep my home, and finally lost it to foreclosure. My credit tanked, but I still have some savings I managed to keep. I was researching on here, and found out that renting is pretty much the only option I have now, for about 5-7 years.

I'm not the best at this real estate stuff, my ex-wife was the one who dealt with all that stuff, but I guess I'm gunna have to start learning now. Are there any realtors that can help out with trying to find a rental. Is there such a thing, I tried looking up some real estate companies that have realtors that specialize in helping look for rentals but couldn't find any. Does anyone know of any specific ones out there?

I'm thinking that there might be some fees to pay to these special kinds of relators, since there aren't much advertisements for them out there.

freedomwon

LoanSafe Member
Oct 30, 2010
California
Lost Pocket - where are you located? There should be some property management companies that specialize in rentals. Some have on-line databases you can subscribe to so you can see when new properties become available for rent. Try doing a google search with the words property management & (fill in the blank) with the nearest major metropolitan city in your area. Hopefully this gets you pointed in the right direction.

TomEason

LoanSafe Guide
Jun 18, 2009
SF Bay Area CA
I've just given up on trying to keep my home, and finally lost it to foreclosure. My credit tanked, but I still have some savings I managed to keep. I was researching on here, and found out that renting is pretty much the only option I have now, for about 5-7 years.

I'm not the best at this real estate stuff, my ex-wife was the one who dealt with all that stuff, but I guess I'm gunna have to start learning now. Are there any realtors that can help out with trying to find a rental. Is there such a thing, I tried looking up some real estate companies that have realtors that specialize in helping look for rentals but couldn't find any. Does anyone know of any specific ones out there?

I'm thinking that there might be some fees to pay to these special kinds of relators, since there aren't much advertisements for them out there.
I recommend you not limit your search, but use online search tools in addition to real estate and property management outfits. Here are some good rental sites. Craigslist, Trulia, HotPads, PadMapper, Oodle, Apartments.com, Rent.com. And, you may find that the "mom & pop" type private landlord to be more flexible and understanding, and more lenient in their screening of prospective tenants. Good luck.

TomEason

LoanSafe Guide
Jun 18, 2009
SF Bay Area CA
Also, how hurt will I be credit wise with a foreclosure as far as renting?
I don't have personal experience. However, I believe there may be strength in numbers, i.e. there are a lot of prospective renters with foreclosures. Plus, things can often be explained to an understanding landlord. The best approach is to volunteer the foreclosure info up front.

woofy123

LoanSafe Member
Sep 10, 2010
Smyrna, Ga.
Who would you recommend we use? I have until the 20th to get my stuff out (looooong story) and will either put a down payment on a rental house or put my stuff in storage until I get what I want.

TomEason

LoanSafe Guide
Jun 18, 2009
SF Bay Area CA
Who would you recommend we use? I have until the 20th to get my stuff out (looooong story) and will either put a down payment on a rental house or put my stuff in storage until I get what I want.
Here's what I stated in an earlier post in response to Lost Pocket. I recommend you not limit your search, but use online search tools in addition to real estate and property management outfits. Here are some good rental sites. Craigslist, Trulia, HotPads, PadMapper, Oodle, Apartments.com, Rent.com. And, you may find that the "mom & pop" type private landlord to be more flexible and understanding, and more lenient in their screening of prospective tenants. Good luck.

Jeffrey L. Shurtliff

LoanSafe Member
Dec 4, 2010
What I did was open up the phone book and called realators in my area and they had houses. They are there and just be honest with them and tell them your situation and they will understand. I found a pretty cool little house with a one car garage. It is all I need and is one third the price of my monthly mortgage. I was honest with them and gave them one months deposit and one months rent. I try to keep it one month ahead in the payment. This is why I tell people who are turned down for modification to not give the bank anymore money. You will need it for the move. Good hunting to ya!

woofy123

LoanSafe Member
Sep 10, 2010
Smyrna, Ga.
Hi, Jeffrey:
That sounds great, I was thinking 2 months deposit plus on month rent, but if I can get a house with one month deposit and one month rent, that would help. My daughter (13) and I are staying at an extended stay hotel, and it has worked for the last 2 months, but I would like a home. I want to get past this mess...
Jennifer

Jeffrey L. Shurtliff

LoanSafe Member
Dec 4, 2010
the reason I went with a realator who is really a property manager is because of my fear renting from someone who is renting a house the is close to foreclosure. So this is the reason I went the way of the property manager.

woofy123

LoanSafe Member
Sep 10, 2010
Smyrna, Ga.
I have a house to live in! I was using a real estate agent and not having very good luck. I had my foreclosure and I have 4 older dogs. The real estate agent was not the animal lover I am, so she said there weren't any places where you could have pets. Not so! I started looking on my own, and found not one, but two houses where the owners did not care about the pets and did not care about the foreclosure. I decided on one that is 3 bedroom, full basement, tile in kitchen and bathrooms, and a huge fenced backyard that backs up to woods. I put down, initially, the first months rent, a months rent as security deposit, and a pet deposit of $300.00. I will get the pet deposit and security deposit back in the end. So now I am debt free (I own two cars and have no credit card debt.) It does turn out ok... I was staying at extended hotels for 6 weeks, while I was looking. I had to keep things as stable as possible for my daughter, who's in middle school.

woofy123

LoanSafe Member
Sep 10, 2010
Smyrna, Ga.
I have a house to live in! I was using a real estate agent and not having very good luck. I had my foreclosure and I have 4 older dogs. The real estate agent was not the animal lover I am, so she said there weren't any places where you could have pets. Not so! I started looking on my own, and found not one, but two houses where the owners did not care about the pets and did not care about the foreclosure. I decided on one that is 3 bedroom, full basement, tile in kitchen and bathrooms, and a huge fenced backyard that backs up to woods. I put down, initially, the first months rent, a months rent as security deposit, and a pet deposit of $300.00. I will get the pet deposit and security deposit back in the end. So now I am debt free (I own two cars and have no credit card debt.) It does turn out ok... I was staying at extended hotels for 6 weeks, while I was looking. I had to keep things as stable as possible for my daughter, who's in middle school.​

nvs98

LoanSafe Member
Mar 21, 2009
You can also check Rentals.com for rentals available in your area, you can search by city, distance, type of property, # of bedrooms, pet policy etc, which I find useful.